Digital experience platforms are hot right now. That’s because DXPs, and the headless and hybrid CMS that are central to them, are revolutionizing the way content is created, managed and delivered to devices and platforms across the globe. What should you ask during the software demo?
Given all of that promise, marketers are certainly evaluating these technologies and one crucial part of that process is the demo.
It’s important to set up demos within a relatively short timeframe of each other to help make relevant comparisons. Make sure that all potential internal users are on the demo call and pay attention to the following:
- How easy is the platform to use for the day-to-day tasks handled by each department that will be using it?
- Does the vendor seem to understand our business and marketing needs?
- Are they showing us our “must-have” features?
Here are 13 questions to ask each vendor during your software demo that will help you narrow the field:
- What kind of content delivery speed improvements do you typically see with your clients?
- Why have you adopted the approach you recommend (fully headless or hybrid content delivery) and what does that specifically mean in terms of how the whole system comes together?
- How is the DXP hosted? PaaS? SaaS? Private cloud? On-premise software installation? Or some combination of these?
- How does the platform integrate with other martech platforms (i.e., CDPs, marketing automation platforms, CRMs, DSPs, DAMs)? What capabilities are native to the new platform and how is it modularized?
- Do you have pre-built connections to solutions we already use or sources of content or functionality that we need?
- What reporting do you provide that will document the ROI from our efforts?
- What kind of customer support is included? Can we pick up the phone to report problems?
- Will we have a dedicated Account Manager and technical support, especially with the initial migration?
- Do you have other clients in our vertical?
- What kind of professional services are available? And how much do they cost?
- How does the company handle requests for product modifications?
- What new features are the vendor considering?
- What’s the long-term roadmap and launch dates?